Orange botanically known as Citrus sinensis belongs to the family Rutaceae, the orange tree is an evergreen, fruiting tree, with an average height of 5 to 8 m although some very old specimens can reach 10 m. Orange pulp is an excellent source of vitamin C, providing 64% of the Daily Value in a 100 g serving. Deep well-drained loamy soils are the best for the cultivation of orange. The plant is highly sensitive to water-logged soils. Fruiting 2-3 years in case of grafted ones and 5-6years for seed propagated plants. Flowering occurs during the spring season. Orange in South India produces two crops a year regularly with a variable third crop. The main harvest is from August –September and the second one from March-May.
- Citrus species grow in tropical and subtropical humid regions. pH should be between 5.5 and 6.5. If acidity is high, it is necessary to apply lime to achieve the optimum level.
Easy to grow even in pot/direct soil, wherever direct sunlight is available. Soon after planting, plants should be supported with bamboo sticks and watered thoroughly.
- While planting care should be taken to see that the bud joint should always be above the ground level.
- Temperature ranging from 10-30℃ is suitable for the cultivation of the crop.
- The bearing trees require little or no pruning. All diseased, injured, and drooping branches and deadwood are to be removed periodically.
- Check the top 2-inch layer of soil for dryness before watering. On windy and hot days, it requires more frequent watering.
Micro-nutrients (zinc, copper, manganese, iron, boron, and molybdenum) are required in ample quantities. It should be supplied through a foliar spray.
- Application of organic mulch surrounds the basin, improves the fruit quality, and maintains a moist environment.
Fruit drop in orange can be controlled in the early stages of fruit development by applying two sprays of growth regulators- 2,4 D (15 ppm.) or GA3 (15 ppm) along with Benomyl (1000 ppm.) and urea (1%) at the time of flowering and after the fruit set.
Never prune the plants during monsoon and wet climates.
TEMPERATURE - Between 10-30 Degree Celsius. (Ideal is 25DC)
MAXIMUM HEIGHT - It can reach up to 5-8 meters (if planted in the ground)
BLOOMING YEAR - Flowering March to April (sometimes too early or too late due to weather)
FRUITING TIME - It starts fruiting after 1.5-2 yrs after planting. Major fruiting months is (July/September/November/January)
Fertilizer - Organic Fertilizer once in 3 months.
INSIDE THE BOX
||1-2 Feet Height
||Growing Pot (Black color)
**above specifications are for indicative purpose only, actual dimensions may slightly vary.
INITIAL CARE FOR 10-15 DAYS JUST AFTER RECEIVING YOUR PLANT
- Remove the Packaging Materials carefully.
- Press the soil in the pot & add additional soil(garden mix) if necessary.
- Maintain moisture in the pot, Do not overwater it may kill your plant, so make sure that the soil should be dry between watering.
- Make sure that plants get enough morning direct bright light(2-3hrs) for 10-15 days & do not go for immediate transplanting (minimum 1 month)
- After 1 month you can transplant it into a slightly bigger pot than the present pot or directly in the ground.
- Just prune if any branch of the plant is get damaged in transits. New leaves will come definitely.