Lemongrass is botanically known as Cymbopogon citratus from the grass family, Poaceae. It is commonly cultivated as a culinary and medicinal herb because of its scent, resembling that of lemons. It have magenta-colored base stems. These species are used for the production of citronella oil, which is used in soaps, as an insect repellent (especially mosquitoes and houseflies) in insect sprays and candles, and in aromatherapy. Besides oil production, citronella grass is also used for culinary purposes, as a flavoring.
What does make it Special??
- The plant’s stalks are a common ingredient in Asian cooking, but it is also possible to brew lemongrass to make tea.
- The leaves and the oil are used to make medicine.
- It is commonly taken orally, applied directly to the skin, or inhaled as aromatherapy for many different conditions. But there is limited scientific research to support any of its common uses.
- In food and beverages, lemongrass is used as a flavoring. For example, lemongrass leaves are commonly used as "lemon" flavoring in herbal teas.
- In manufacturing, lemongrass is used as a fragrance in deodorants, soaps, and cosmetics.
- Lemongrass is used in hoodoo to protect against evil, spiritually clean a house, and bring good luck in love affairs.
- Plant leaves & stalks are preserved in dried form to use for future purposes.
MAXIMUM HEIGHT - Upto 2 meters in height, but it also depends on its maturity & its location.
BLOOMING YEAR - Flowers are inconspicuous, but they are popular for their leaves.
- As it belongs to the grass family, so it is very easy to grow it without much effort.
- Full sun is great but a balcony with 2 to 3 hours of indirect bright light will also be sufficient.
Regular water is required. Plant it in large pots for getting big healthy leaves.
- When choosing a container, be sure to pick one that has at least one drainage hole in the bottom. This is key as the hole will allow excess water to drain out.
- As the plant will grow, the old leaves will get dried, so regularly clean the planting area.
Shaded Balcony, Sunny Balcony, Door Entrance, Hanging basket, Best Attractive & Zero Maintenance Plant, Border Plant, Kitchen's window.
INSIDE THE BOX
|1-2 Feet Height
|Growing Pot (Black color)
*above specifications are for indicative purposes only, actual dimensions may slightly vary.
LIGHT CONDITION - Can grow in Indirect Bright light or Semi shade and in Direct sunlight also.
WATERING SCHEDULE - Water when the topsoil(2-3 inches) feels dry to touch.
SOIL TYPE - The soil should be well-drained, fertile, and rich in organic content, sandy soil is most preferred.
TEMPERATURE - The average temperature should be 18-30 Degree Celsius.
FERTILIZER APPLICATION - Apply any organic fertilizer once a month and stop in winter.
PLANT PROTECTION - Remove dead, infected, or damaged plant parts and discard them away from the plants.
INITIAL CARE FOR 10-15 DAYS JUST AFTER RECEIVING YOUR PLANT
- Remove the Packaging Materials carefully.
- Press the soil in the pot & add additional soil(garden mix) if necessary.
- Maintain moisture in the pot, Do not overwater it may kill your plant, so make sure that the soil should be dry between watering.
- Make sure that plants get enough morning direct bright light(2-3hrs) for 10-15 days & do not go for immediate transplanting (minimum 1 month)
- You can remain the plant in the same pot for 6-7 months, later you can transplant it in a slightly bigger pot than the present.
- Just prune if any branch of the plant is get damaged in transits. New leaves will come definitely.